1. Ryan Moore, who rode the Cox Plate/Melbourne Cup double in 2014 aboard Adelaide and Protectionist, is the best jockey in the world, bar none. Its worth staying up late to watch him weave his brilliance on the English tracks as Royal Ascot fast approaches
2. The South Sydney Rabbitohs are at present an absolutely crap footy team, and given that something is clearly wrong in the bowels of the club – think Rusty, Madge, Sam, Salary Caps and Mrs Burgess, and you will start to get the picture – they can not, and will not, improve, and are million to one to win the comp.
3. Greg Inglis isn’t a five-eighth’s arsehole, and despite the Rabbits two wins on the trot since he switched position is not a viable option in the halves come finals footy, if Souths make it to the top eight that is. Despite this observation, while Inglis is no longer the lightning bolt he once was, he these days reminds me very much of Justin Hodges circa 2013 when he’s playing in the lateral backline, and that’s still good enough for me.
4. Does any Aussie kid whose parent isn’t an obsessive fan play cricket any more? Our changing demographics mean the game is in enormous trouble, and I for one fear for its long term future outside of the 20/20 arena.
5. How good is netball going? And how good is netball? The Channel Nine deal is an absolute cracker, and the game is about to leapfrog a whole number of unsuspecting codes and be taken rapidly into our collective Australian hearts. Bravo to the administrators of the game – Rugby Union could learn a lot from them.
6. Our collective support for Roughie is as heartfelt as the 6pm oath uttered under dim lights and with great reverence nightly at the Geebung RSL. You can kick it son!
7. The Swans are still going to give the Hawks a touch up tonight though.
8. North Melbourne don’t have the killer instinct required to win a flag. In fact they will be lucky if they make the four. So will the Western Bulldogs. The Cats are the ones. The management team of AFL club Geelong are simply superb, and know not only how to build a champion club, but how to rebuild one too. If only the Lions had such a back room team perhaps it would be all so much different north of the Tweed.
9. Only 2 teams can or will win the Super 16, the Chiefs or the Highlanders. I favor the Highlanders, although with emerging superstar Damian McKenzie at the back the mooloo men from Hamilton are capable of beating any team in the world on their day.
10. The train wreck masquerading as the management of Queensland Rugby just careens from disaster to another.The notion that Quade Cooper is somehow the panacea to all the Reds ills and like some mutant version of the prodigal son will return and lead the second coming is worse than fanciful, it is insane. Cooper has never been the same player since the New Zealand crowds messed with his head in 2011, and the fact that he is playing third fiddle flyhalf at Toulon behind Matt Giteau, who’s old enough to be his father, and Freddie Michalak, who could well be his grandad, tells you everything that you need to know.
11. Watching the A-League is like watching paint dry. I would rather eat dirt than spend 90 minutes plus stoppage time of my limited lifetime at a game.
12. Stephen Curry is the Bradman of 21st century basketball, and watching him weave his magic is a joy and a sheer delight. If Curry can run and shoot uninhibited by injury, the Golden State Warriors will win back to back NBA championships. If he can’t, they won’t. Its the simplest of equations.