Pardon the pun, but I’m sure given my school mate’s intelligence that it was absolutely and utterly deliberate

This isn’t me, thank God, but it is my class mate and school friend. What happened to him was terrible, and a large part of it could have been prevented by Thomas Treherne, the ‘man of God’ and 1980’s St Paul’s School chaplain who died recently, whose burial police came to my home to warn me I would be arrested if I attended

Me! WTF have I ever done wrong? –

What I did wrong was call a spade a spade.

I showed Thomas Treherne the same respect in death that he showed me, the man in this story, and all the other victims at St Paul’s School from 1983 – 1997.



That prick could have saved us all. He could have saved my mate in the picture above taken of the footy team that I captained until I spoke up, after which I was stripped of my leadership role and banned.

Gregory Robert Knight – who is presently on bail in South Australia facing even more charges of abusing children from schools at which he taught, and is 100 to 1 on to be going to jail for the third time for pedophilia offences – was one of the two people in authority at St Paul’s who abused me (the most un-sadly deceased Gregory Stephen Masters, later a teacher and swimming master at Brisbane Grammar despite not being a swimmer at school himself, was the other).

Knight came first though, and just after Easter 1983 I told my school chaplain Thomas Treherne that his colleague had abused me.


Treherne told me I was a liar. Subsequently my fee paying academic scholarship was threatened, and a campaign of vilification began against me. Withing weeks I went from being a distinction prize award winner and junior school leader to a kid who broke – nay, smashed – the St Paul’s record for Friday afternoon and Saturday morning detentions.

Funnily enough by the time the Royal Commission rolled around all my disciplinary records had disappeared, even though when some of my class mates lawyers requested theirs they would always mysteriously reappear. Weird that.

I could have avoided the whole thing. All I had to do was back down to the pedophile protectors, but I wasn’t raised that way and so I stared the c*nts in the eye and said do your best and until I became bored with the game and left the school I copped it.

Problem was I didn’t tell again, because I didn’t want to break my Mum’s heart by being expelled, and so instead I assumed the role of the c*nt and rode it until one day I said ‘Stuff these wankers Mum, I’m out of here’.


I was 15. Mum thought I was a bad bastard because I wanted her to believe it. I couldn’t tell her what had happened, or so in my dumb immaturity I thought anyway. When I did tell her while she was on her death bed and could hardly breathe she told me I was a dickhead for keeping quiet, and that I was not to let the bastards who stole so many years from us get away with it.

I won’t Mum. I promised you then. And I promise you know.

Mum didn’t make me promise because her son had been injured. She was pissed off about that mightily, but that was just a square up job and that it would happen was taken for granted and didn’t need to be spoken; but in my family’s codes our own hurts don’t matter any more than they do because the poor bugger next door is doing it harder than us, and if they’re not the family the next house down are.

My Mum had a real soft spot for single mums in strained circumstances. It wasn’t because she loved the Mum, it was because she loved the kids and thought they all deserved the same crack at life that we had, which she believed (wrongly but honestly) to the the apogee of a crack. That’s why we were always carting orphans and disabled and battered and bruised kids around when I was little, because my Mum believed that they should get a fair go and weren’t, and Dad did too.


So what she said to me on her death bed was “Archie we let your school mates down. But nowhere near as much as Gilbert Case and Thomas Treherne did. Don’t let those bastards walk away from their crimes, and tell ’em I died game”.

F*ck I love my parents, and I wish like hell that those bastard kiddy fiddlers hadn’t f*cked my head so badly that for 30 years I believed I couldn’t tell them about what had happened to me at school and instead let them believe that I was the one to blame.

It’s only now when my short time on earth is on the darker side if the moon instead of the sunny side of the street that I get it. Thankfully when it came to showing Mum and Dad how much I truly loved them it wasn’t too late.

I hate pedophiles and I hate everyone who allows them to play their evil games.

Don’t you?


The Anglican church failed to pay a child sexual abuse survivor an agreed $1.5m settlement, prompting allegations it has treated him with disdain.

The church, however, says the failure to meet Thursday’s payment deadline was inadvertent, and urgently moved to transfer the money after being alerted to the error on Friday.

The survivor, who asked for anonymity, sued the Anglican church’s Brisbane diocese in late 2015 for horrific abuse he suffered at St Paul’s school in the 1980s, at the hands of convicted paedophile Gregory Robert Knight.

Mediation occurred in July, and the case settled, with the Brisbane diocese to pay 28 days after it was given the necessary charges from law firm Shine Lawyers. Shine told the church on multiple occasions that the date it was required to pay was 13 September.

The church, however, told Shine the payment date was two weeks later, on 28 September.

But the church still failed to meet the later date, despite warnings from Shine of fresh legal action if the money did not arrive.

The survivor has suffered hugely since the abuse, self-medicating with drugs and alcohol in an attempt to deal with severe psychological trauma.

“[The case] been a traumatic part of my life, the whole thing … I was really excited on the day it all finished. It was finished, regardless of what the outcome was, I just wanted it to be behind me,” the survivor told Guardian Australia.

“And now I just feel like it’s just always there, every day I wake up. It doesn’t even feel real,” he said. “It’s extremely hard. It’s just this continual thing, like this cloud, hanging there, waiting.”

Shine special counsel, Roger Singh, launched a new action in the Queensland supreme court on Friday, in an attempt to force the church to make the payment.

But a spokesman for the Anglican diocese said the error had been remedied as soon as the church was alerted.

“The church urgently authorised payment within hours of learning of the transfer error,” he said.

“It is disappointing that Shine Lawyers is seeking to use an anomaly to generate publicity for financial gain.”

Singh said the handling of the payment by the Anglican church “smacks of arrogance” and treated the survivor “with disdain”.

“I’ve been involved in scores of claims involving the Anglican church, and a leopard never changes its spots,” he said.

“It begs the question, have they learned anything from the royal commission and its outcomes? Their conduct has done nothing other than to cause [the survivor] further distress and anguish.”

But the church has accused Shine of using the case to generate publicity.

“You have to wonder why Shine Lawyers launched legal action the day after the deadline was missed and ran to the media instead of simply picking up the phone to the church,” the church spokesman said.

“There was already a rock-solid, legally-binding settlement in place. No legal action was necessary and their actions appear to be motivated by the pursuit of publicity.”

Knight’s case, explored at length in the royal commission, demonstrated fundamental failings in the handling of abuse allegations.

Prior to arriving at St Paul’s in 1980, Knight was found to have abused children at a school in South Australia.

Despite the school’s knowledge of the abuse, Knight was allowed to leave with his teaching registration active and moved to Brisbane Boys’ College, where he was again accused of abusing children. He left Brisbane and applied for a job at St Paul’s.

The St Paul’s headmaster was warned about the man’s “attitude to boys”, but failed to exercise the appropriate caution, the royal commission found. Numerous allegations of abuse were made against Knight while he was at St Paul’s. The only action the school took was to accept Knight’s resignation in 1984. Its then headmaster provided him with a positive reference, which Knight used to gain employment at a Darwin school. There, he again abused a child, crimes for which he was later convicted.

as a “classic case of post-traumatic stress”.

“I self-medicated through drugs, mainly drugs, and alcohol to a lesser degree. They were the one thing that I had some sort of relief, it gave me a place where I could breathe or something like that,” he said. “The last 30 years have been horrific, really, for my family, my extended family.”

The settlement will be used to build a better life, he said. It would be used to continue psychiatric help, and invest in a future for his children.

The church’s behaviour, he said, had made him question its public claims to have changed.

“I don’t think the church has changed at all,” he said. “If this is supposed to be a smooth process to the ending of it, I hate to think what the opposite of that would be, because it’s been horrible, it really has.

“Not even a phone call, or anything, just an explanation or something like that would be nice, you know?”